Secondly, I made this bread today and it is excellent. Not only is it made with whole wheat, but it's sweetened with honey instead of sugar. Slather some butter on top (though it's great plain) for a snack, or smoosh peanut butter and banana slices between two pieces for a delicious lunch. Lia's review, "I really like it mom!" It's moist without being oily, just sweet enough, with a warm, nutty flavor. Perfect for fall.
Honey-Sweetened Whole Wheat Banana Bread
adapted from this recipe
- 1/3 cup butter (could substitute applesauce)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 handful chopped walnuts
- 1 handful chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, beat butter and honey together. Add eggs, and mix well. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Stir in flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. Carefully stir in chopped nuts and chocolate chips. Spread batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing.