Sunday, September 13, 2009

An early bloomer

I wasn't expecting any eggs until October, maybe November, but it looks like we have an early bloomer in our little chicken flock. I'll tell you the story of how it all went down tomorrow (oh the suspense!) but in the meantime I thought I'd post a little comparison picture. You know one of the first things we had to do with the egg is compare it to the competition.

The top egg is ours, and though tiny, it really does have that lovely orangey yolk that you hear so much about these days. The middle egg is from a local organic farm that feeds their chickens greens and grass clippings, but the birds don't really "free range" like ours do. The have large pens but the plant life has long since been torn out by the constant scratching. The bottom egg is the basic grocery store chicken egg. Looks pretty sad, huh?

11 comments:

Madeline said...

Store boughts can't compare to the real deal!

lovely lindsay said...

i've been reading your farm adventure for awhile now - and for some reason this post called me out of the woodwork. i couldn't help but send out a silly HIP! HIP! HOORAY! to your cutie bright orange egg.
keep on with your organic goodness. love, lindsay

Jill said...

I had NO idea!

Jessica F said...

What a great visual! I hope more people realize that where their food comes from and how it's made makes a big impact on quality of food and also quality of life. good work (and congrats!)

farmama said...

There's nothin' like a farm fresh egg from a chicken that was allowed to be free!

Molly @ Star Cottage said...

Wow! What a difference. I am so psyched for you.
I grew up with chickens in my backyard as a kid. I can't wait to have some of my own now that I am older. We live in a comunity that doesn't allow livestock of any kind. Even bees. Bummer! SO hopefully we will move someday and have a little land of our own. @ least more than the 0.25 acres we have now. And have a mini farm for our family and a little extra to share with the neighbors like my folks did ;)

Shabby Chic Crafts said...

We are on our way to having our own little farm...

Love your blog!

Thanks for the comparison!!

abbiegrace said...

interesting comparison!

~Sasha Farina~ said...

Girl, if I live near you.. i would bug you for the eggs every few days!! looks delish!

Kendra said...

Hi Jill! I haven't visited your blog in ages. It looks like you haven't either. ; )

So good to see your dreams of farm living flourishing. I think last time I visited your blog you were just making the move.

And I have to agree about the eggs. Our chickens free range over about 3 acres of land every day so our eggs look like yours. It's all I can do to make myself use the occasional store-bought egg when I have to.

seattlefarmette said...

Love the three egg comparison! I did a two egg comparison between my hens & store bought "cage free organic" eggs...I was wondering how much worse the regular store bought eggs would look.

http://seattlefarmette.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/fresh-eggs-are-back/